Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Things that annoy me about Blogger



























I love having a blog, I couldn't recommend the whole concept of blogging to another person enough. I've used Blogger as a platform for my blog since I first created it and I have absolutely no intention of changing it any time soon however there are a couple of things that really, really annoy me.

1. It is almost impossible to unfollow a blog
So I get that there is a limit of 300 blogs that you can follow. That's reasonable. I'm constantly finding new blogs that I want to follow, being told I've hit my limit and therefore having to unfollow an old blog. No problem, I'm happy to do that since bloggers give up on their blogs all the time and I end up following someone who hasn't posted in 7 months. Here's the issue: it is so hard to actually unfollow it. For starters you have to go onto their blog and 'sign in' as a follower. If they don't have the widget that shows who is following them, you can't do it at all (which, by the way, is why I've kept the widget. I want you to have the opportunity to unfollow me if you start to find that you no longer like my blog without having to sacrifice your first born child). What about if that blog has been deleted?! If it's been deleted there is no point me following it because there will never be new posts, but there is literally no way for me to get rid of it from my feed. If they do have the widget, you then sign in, go to the site settings, click unfollow, confirm unfollow, wait for it to disappear off your feed and then add the new blog. Ugh, that is such a lengthy process.

Now I know that there is an alternative way where you click the little settings image on your dashboard, but in my personal experience it has never ever managed to successfully load the blogs I'm following. Every time I try that it informs me that there is a problem and that I should try again later.

It should not be that hard to unfollow a flipping blog.

2. The save button on a post is wayyy too close to the publish button
You've experienced the times where you see a post come up on your dashboard, click on it, only to find that "this post does not exist." This is because a blogger has accidentally clicked publish before they were ready to and have then proceeded to delete it, yet it still comes up on your feed. This used to happen to me all the time and it's all down to the fact that the publish button is far to close to the save one. All that would have to change is the publish button being located on the left of the post with the other three remaining where they currently are. It would solve all our problems.

3. If you publish comments without reviewing them first, you don't get notified about them
Back when I first started I set my comments so that they had to be moderated before they were published on my blog. When I went on holidays for longer periods of time I would change the settings so that they would be published immediately and eventually I just left it like that permanently. I love this set up and think it allows for more discussion between bloggers when you don't have to wait days for your comment to show up, but as the owner of the blog I hate that it doesn't let me know that someone has commented. I have to remember to go into my comments and check to see if any have been left, unlike before when a little number would be presented on my dashboard letting me know how many had to be moderated.

So Blogger, if you are listening, please fulfill my three wishes and make blogging a more pleasant experience for all of use. Just these three little improvements and it would be perfect!

24 comments:

  1. I think we have the same laptop! Haha, mm I've never had to unfollow a blog using GFC, since I'm now pretty much fully converted over to Bloglovin' which I much prefer. That process seems highly annoying though! I actually get notified about comments through my email which is pretty handy.

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha we probably do, but I bet yours isn't as filthy as mine! I've tried hard to get along with Bloglovin but I'm just not feelin' it :) I imagine there is some way I could organise comments to be sent to me in an email if I really wanted to change it... x

      Delete
  2. couldn't agree you more! Especially about the save button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the unfollowing thing is the worst! and not to mention the amount of times I've had to quickly "revert to draft" something I accidentally published when i intended to click the save button...
    It kinda bothers me how the blogger drafting post area is a little small, I mean I wouldnt mind a bigger area so I can see most of what I'm typing without having to scroll down or clicking preview all the time...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks blogger should step up their game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that 'revert to draft' button gets a real workout! I agree with your thoughts about the size of the drafting area, a little bigger would be nice. I love blogger but there are just a couple of changes that would make the world of difference! x

      Delete
  4. YES! Accidentally clicking publish instead of save! I'm so paranoid about it, I hover my mouse over for a second and triple-check it's the right button hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO annoying. It just doesn't need to be there! :) x

      Delete
  5. Wow, you've completely read my mind! These are my main things I'm annoyed about with blogger! Although I've only pressed publish once without finishing a post, it was the worst. Especially since it stays on dashboard for everyone to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying, and you just know that all these people will probably be trying to click on it! Gagh! x

      Delete
  6. Totally agree with you on all that!! Luckily I get notified about comments via email but I hate the fact that they dont tell you if someones replied to you or not when you post a comment on someone elses post, I have to literally check every few hours to see if I get a reply back and when I do get a reply I usually forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so great if you were notified about other people's responses to your comments. I always forget to check! x

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about the publish and save button! But I am definitely, definitely following more than 300 people and have never had any problems or been told to unfollow someone! xx

    www.poptartsbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, how do you manage to follow that many people then?! Do you follow them on GFC because if it is on bloglovin' I think that lets you do it, but GFC always makes me unfollow first. x

      Delete
  8. Totally agree! Sometimes when I click the "settings", all the blogs I'm following don't load. But if I wait, they eventually load. But when I unfollow one, it proceeds to refresh the whole page again -_-
    And YES i would love it if we get notified of replies to our comments on other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That page never, ever loads for me, it is so annoying. I hate that I am following all these dead blogs that I can't ever unfollow! x

      Delete
  9. I agree! I've pressed publish instead of save before and it's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree, agree, agree!!! It used to be as easy as unchecking a box in your settings on your dashboard, but that hasn't worked for years now!! I have craft blogs that I followed, and they were closed down but now someone else has the same address and I keep getting random posts and there's no widget to unfollow from!!! Argh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I have that too where someone has taken an old blog name and now I just get stupid posts coming up on my dashboard. I hate how hard it is to unfollow, argh! x

      Delete
  11. I'm still relatively new to using Blogger so this was a very helpful post Candice! Thanks! :)
    Wow, I'm actually quite surprised I haven't pressed published yet, there are many times it comes close but thank goodness haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, glad it was helpful. So not a fan of that stupid publish button!!! :) x

      Delete
  12. Totally agree with all of these gripes, ugh!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...