Wednesday, December 26, 2012

"What do you think?" Wednesdays - Do you make an effort to support Aussie brands?

Australia has some awesome makeup brands - Face of Australia, Australis, Jurlique, Bloom, Model Co and Napolean Perdis, just to name a few - but is it important to support Australian brands and if so, do you make an effort to do just that?

I know that when it comes to local, Australian things, I like give it my full support. In saying this though, sometimes they just don't compete with British or American brands that are just so much better. I have so many Face of Australia and Australis products and I really, really like the brands so there is no denying that I'd happily spend my money on them. The thing is, I'm not actually doing it because I want to support the Australian business, I'm doing it because I like the products.

Then there are brands like Essence, Maybelline, Revlon, Rimmel and Loreal that really aren't Australian brands but create some amazing products. I'd like to think that if, say...Maybelline and Australis created the exact same product and sold it for the exact same price that I would purchase the product from Australis, but the truth is that it is more likely that I would go for the one from Maybelline.

I'm not exactly sure why this it, it might have something to do with the fact that because Maybelline is so widely known it is an expectation that their products are of a great quality whereas Australis has a bit more leeway for hit and miss products. It might be that I'd be seeing more hype about the product from Maybelline and therefore would pick that to jump on the bandwagon...I don't know what it is but I really do think I would go for the one from Maybelline.

When it comes down to it, is it really that important to support Australian brands? I think so, especially the smaller independent ones. I think Australian makeup brands produce some amazing products and it would be a real shame to deprive them of the opportunity to continue doing so. I also think that there is something special about having products exclusive to Australia, just like America has with their brands that we can't access here down under (except of course online!).

What do you think? Do you go out of your way to support Australian brands or are you like me and just purchase products that you like, leaning towards the more well known American brands?

12 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same! As much as I love Australis (definitely one of my favourite brands) I just love the range, variety and excitement of seeing the products international brands, plan on, and do, release. I have to say, Maybelline is certainly one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! Somehow all the international brands just seem that little bit more exciting a lot of the time! Maybelline definitely has some wonderful products.
      xxx

      Delete
  2. For me, this is a yes and no answer. Australis and Face of Australia, definitely support them! I love the fact that they have both included our country in their actual name, and there's a lovely sense of pride in using their fantastic products.
    However I find with products such as Jurlique and NP, I get annoyed. Firstly, I love them. I have a few Jurlique products in my usual cycle, so I'm not opposed to the brands at all! It's just frustrating to see that, Jurlique for example, is made in Adelaide (supposedly). For me to actually BUY something from Jurlique, it is much more expensive here than it is in the US... that's not very fair, is it? So I sort of feel like, why should I support them when they don't support their local consumers? I understand all the excuses people give me, but at the end of the day, it's made here so we should get it easier and cheaper than anywhere else, at least that's how I feel.
    With small businesses, I absolutely LOVE supporting them! :D
    Great topic, yet again! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, I quite like that they have used the name of the country in their brand name! As for paying more for Jurlique here than in the US, that is just ridiculous! I think they need to be careful about that too, because it would make sense for them to have a strong Australian base in addition to customers from the US, but if the Aussies pay more than those internationally...soon they will find themselves lacking in customers back home. I agree, they need to be aware of the importance of supporting local consumers, that's crazy!
      Once again thank you so much for your support this week! :)
      xxxx

      Delete
  3. I've considered going on an Australian-only cosmetic buy but it's never quite eventuated. There are some fantastic Australian brands and products that I buy on their own merits (Bloom lip glosses, Face of Australia nail polish for example) but I do buy a mix of Australian and overseas products usually :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an Australian only cosmetic buy would be really quite difficult because it just doesn't compete with other countries. I think it would be more difficult for bloggers too, who are aware of all the products from international companies (it is just so tempting when you read all these amazing reviews!) Thanks for contributing!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I think that supporting Australian brands is really important, as with your support they will only get better!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, they need all the help they can get!
      x

      Delete
  5. I totally agree, I really love some of our local brands and would be really sad if they disappeared. My fav has to be Face of Australia but I don't really go out of my way to purchase Aussie brands unless I see a good review on them and the price is reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Face of Australia is just brilliant but I too don't make a real effort to specifically purchase products from Australian brands. The crazy prices makes it more difficult too.
      xx

      Delete
  6. As much as I love supporting our Aussie brands, the us has some pretty good brands I rather reach for!! Beautiful post Candice, as always! Xxx
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US does have stronger brands a lot of the time, which is a real shame really. Thanks for commenting!
      xx

      Delete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...