I have always admired the people who give DIY products a go but could never get around to trying it out myself. I thought it would be too hard, too expensive and would take up too much time. Surprisingly, this is not the case. I made a lip balm, body scrub and face mask with ease at a really cheap cost. I felt like I was part of a Lush store!
Honey Lip Balm
1. Fill a saucepan halfway with water and place a bowl inside
2. In the bowl, put 1 tablespoon of Beeswax and a teaspoon of Almond oil.
3. Heat and stir until they are completely mixed together
4. Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of honey
5. Stir until the ingredients combine
6. Once warm, pour directly into container and leave to set
7. The mixture should set remarkably quickly and is ready for use
1. Fill your container to the top with sea salt. If the sea salt is too grainy, you can grind it as desired.
2. Add a small amount of Sweet Almond Oil
3. Add your favourite smelling oil (I used Orange oil as I love the citrus smells, but lavender, peppermint or tea tree would be fine too)
4. Mix together and use accordingly.
Oatmeal Face Mask
1. Add 3 tablespoons of oatmeal into a bowl
2. Add three teaspoons of vegetable glycerin
3. Add three teaspoons of honey
4. Add three teaspoons of water
5. Combine all ingredients to make a thick paste and put in container
(This mask does not keep for very long. Leave on face for twenty minutes)
So far I love the Honey lip balm, although next time I might include a bit more honey. The sea salt body scrub is brilliant, and I absolutely love the fragrance. I haven't actually used the Oatmeal mask yet but I'll let you know how it goes. The lip balm pot cost $1 and the larger pots $1.50. Little pots like these are difficult to find, but I spotted these at a small soap/health food store. I encourage you to try making your own products because it is so much fun! I got the recipes from different books and websites and there are thousands more wonderful recipes out there, so you will be sure to find something that appeals to you.
Oooo everything sounds so good and delicious haha! I should try this out someday, thank you for sharing the recipes. Going straight to my bookmarks :-)ReplyDelete
Glad you found this post useful, I'm loving the lip balm and scrub recipe but as mentioned, I haven't actually used the face mask recipe yet so I will let you know how it goes once I do.Delete
Thank you! :-)Delete
wow great job, girl! I too always feel as if making my own products would be hard/expensive! ive always wanted to make a bath bomb and such but those seem very hard, lol! I love the face mask but where in the world would i find vegetable glycerin? well, maybe I should say where in america as i know your from australia. then again how would you know? lol, let me know where you grabbed it, anyway! also, I stumbled upon a lip scrub recipe: 1 part brown sugar 1 part vaseline and thats it. you mentioned the mask won't keep long: how long have you had yours? let back at me! <3 ericaReplyDelete
Thanks for the encourageent :) Making a bath bomb sounds awesome! I found my vegetable glycerin at a health food/soap shop, basically where they sold the beeswax and pots. Thanks for the lip scrub recipe, sounds good. I have had the mask for three days, I plan on using it soon. Keeping it in the fridge should make it last longer though.Delete
Oh, I also forgot to mention that it is good to let the mask sit for at least one day because then the oatmeal soaks up all of the liquid.Delete
Very nice !!! Hope you enjoy ! Homemade are great !
Make sure you conser your products in the fridge. They contain water, so not great for bacterial growth :-).
Have a great day.
Ohhh thankyou so much for your comment! I am so new to this but it is incredibly exciting!Delete
I do love a good facial scrub but there are so damn expensive in the shops or parlors. When I get the time, will try these tips out and let you know of the outcome.ReplyDelete
They really are much too expensive! Thanks for the comment.Delete
Great story as for me. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thanx for sharing that info.ReplyDelete
Great just i was looking for as I have the exact home made face scrubs....thanksReplyDelete