I have always admired the people who give DIY products a go but could never get around to trying it out myself. I thought it would be too hard, too expensive and would take up too much time. Surprisingly, this is not the case. I made a lip balm, body scrub and face mask with ease at a really cheap cost. I felt like I was part of a Lush store!
Honey Lip Balm
1. Fill a saucepan halfway with water and place a bowl inside
2. In the bowl, put 1 tablespoon of Beeswax and a teaspoon of Almond oil.
3. Heat and stir until they are completely mixed together
4. Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of honey
5. Stir until the ingredients combine
6. Once warm, pour directly into container and leave to set
7. The mixture should set remarkably quickly and is ready for use
1. Fill your container to the top with sea salt. If the sea salt is too grainy, you can grind it as desired.
2. Add a small amount of Sweet Almond Oil
3. Add your favourite smelling oil (I used Orange oil as I love the citrus smells, but lavender, peppermint or tea tree would be fine too)
4. Mix together and use accordingly.
Oatmeal Face Mask
1. Add 3 tablespoons of oatmeal into a bowl
2. Add three teaspoons of vegetable glycerin
3. Add three teaspoons of honey
4. Add three teaspoons of water
5. Combine all ingredients to make a thick paste and put in container
(This mask does not keep for very long. Leave on face for twenty minutes)
So far I love the Honey lip balm, although next time I might include a bit more honey. The sea salt body scrub is brilliant, and I absolutely love the fragrance. I haven't actually used the Oatmeal mask yet but I'll let you know how it goes. The lip balm pot cost $1 and the larger pots $1.50. Little pots like these are difficult to find, but I spotted these at a small soap/health food store. I encourage you to try making your own products because it is so much fun! I got the recipes from different books and websites and there are thousands more wonderful recipes out there, so you will be sure to find something that appeals to you.